Thursday, September 18, 2008

We Rage On

In years (or maybe decades) past I remember by grandparents making a point of mentioning December 07 in remembrance of those killed in the attack on the Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor. They were able to recount where they were and what they were doing when this event occurred. Likewise, my parents have specific memories of their location and doings when first hearing of the President John F. Kennedy assassination and when U.S. astronauts first walked on the moon. I suspect 09/11 is one such event for my generation.
Amy and I were talking about our locations and actions on the morning of 09/11/01. Certainly, our actions were common in that for the most part we were going about our daily lives. I remember coming home from working a graveyard shift and winding down a bit by watching TV before trying to sleep. My routine that morning was not much different than any other morning after working a graveyard, however, the events of that day allow me to specifically recall these routine actions. Of course, all the TV stations were reporting an airplane crashing into the World Trade Center. Accidents are not uncommon in my line of work so it was easy for me accept this tragic incident at face value. However, when the second plane collided into this same building it was obvious these two events were no longer a coincidence. The whirlwind then started.
Erin recently won her bout with a cold. In one of her truly Erin moments she informed me Jailey, from daycare, gave her this cold and Erin didn’t even want it. Erin then continued by revealing her plot to give this cold back to Jailey when she finds her next. If only it were that simple.
Our family cast votes and decided to now start behaving as though summer is in the waning hours and to not allow fall to ambush us. We decided to send summer off with truly summer events- soccer and going to the lake.
Tyrel and the Crocodiles traveled to Parowan to take on an undefeated team. It was a good game despite some very favorable and one-sided officiating (it wasn’t until after the game that we learned the referee had a grandson on Parowan’s team). Despite this hurdle, the Crocodiles left the field with the score 2-2. In talking with some of the parents of the Parowan players we learned the Crocodiles were the first team Parowan had not defeated. Personally, I am still learning the in’s and out’s of soccer and I confess I struggle with a game that is allowed to end in tie.
We then took a trip south to Sand Hollow for fun in the sun. The kids played hard building sand castles while Amy and I just relaxed. When the kids completed their masterpieces Tyrel opted to be the guinea pig while Erin and I buried him in the sand. I think Erin got the biggest kick out of leaning on Tyrel’s head. After more fun in the water, we went out for dinner and then home. We all slept in the fashion of the slumber of the just.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I miss our Saturdays with you guys and our dates or just playing cards while the kids went crazy... oh where did those days go. I will tell you, your darn friends decided to move what dorks see ya in a few weeks! We are excited to show you the twins:)

Betsy said...

I love reading anything about Erin... that cold story cracked me up!