Thursday, December 3, 2009

Max Hall, C’mon Man!

I reluctantly admit I didn’t get the watch the Holy War live and in color as I had hoped, but thank goodness for DVR’s. However, Tyrel and I did catch the Utah’s field goal followed by BYU’s subsequent touchdown for the win in real time. Then there were those less-than-dignified and broad stroked comments made by a team leader.


Personally, I remember thinking Hall did his teammates who would not graduate with him this year no favors as his shot across the bow would no doubt fuel an ever raging inferno. This should make for great football and something just less than war. Play on!


Then my 10-year-old son’s observation, “I thought those BYU guys were better sports than that. Is that what you were talking about?”


What was previously an abstract concept now had a real-life example. I am certain Tyrel will not soon forget this expose. My two recent conversations with Tyrel about good sportsmanship in both winning and losing are now cemented for recollection and reference whenever needed.


I attempted to answer Tyrel with some meaningful and believable explanation for the inglorious display of indiscretion, but found myself only sweating and stuttering. I didn’t study for that pop quiz and certainly looked the fool.


Max Hall, c’mon man! This is conduct I would expect from the Detroit Pistons, Terrell Owens, Dennis Rodman, or Ron Artest. The irony of the whole incident is you showed yourself to be the very thing you colored the Utes to be. I can think no more selfish gesture- your teammate’s efforts during the contest are already forgotten. Reap the whirlwind.

No comments: